From: Tom Ford (tjfketos@rcn.com)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 21:45:10 EST

  • Next message: Tom Ford: "Re: types of whales"

    > From: "Whitecd"
    > Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 17:38:53 +0000
    > To: tjfketos@rcn.com, pita@whale.simmons.edu
    > Subject: whales
    > Dear Dr. Ford:
    > Hi. I'm Evan. I'm a fourth-grader in Omaha, Nebraska, and we're studying
    > whales at our school.
    > I have 2 questions:
    > -- Could you tell me 3 types of scientists who study whales?
    > -- Could you send me some information about a fin whale?
    > Thanks a lot,
    > Evan White
      Dear Evan ,

    There are many scientists from many disciplines that study whales.

    Many people conduct field studies of whales to determine behaviors. Some
    people study whales to estimate the size of a certain species population and
    where those whales migrate. Both studies are done by animal behaviorists.
    They usually have an advanced degree in Biology or Environmental studies.

    Yet another group study the anatomy of whales. These people are usually PhDs
    and Veterinarian doctors.

    Other work is done by specialists in many areas. Microbiologists study the
    microbes in whale stomachs and skin.

    If you are interested in such a career please see the "I am interested in
    careers" on the ed resources page here on Whalenet.

    Whalenet has quite a bit of information on fin whales. Fin or finback whales
    have a proper scientific name : Balaenoptera physalis. Use the "How to Find"
    section here on Whalenet to get many more facts. It could be fun to search
    for finback and Baleanopters physalus to cover all the bases.

    Scientifically yours.

    Tom Ford

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Tue Nov 09 2004 - 14:58:57 EST