Re: BLue Whale

From: Tom Ford (tjfketos@rcn.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 19:07:17 EST

    > From: Margaret McCorry
    > Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:15:22 -0500
    > To: tjfketos@rcn.com, pita@whale.simmons.edu
    > Subject: BLue Whale
    >
    > Hello Dr. Ford -
    >
    > I am writing on behalf of my 9-year-old daughter who is doing a report
    > in her 4th grade class on the Blue Whale. One of the questions is -
    > What does the animal eat? That answer is easy. But this question -
    > Is the animal food for any other animals? - is more difficult. We made
    > the guess that killer whales and sharks do attack blue whales, but have
    > not found confirmation of that. (We know humans used to hunt them.)
    > So, the question is - Is the blue whale food for any animals?
    >
    > Thanks for your time and kind attention.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >

    > Margaret McCorry

    Blue whales eat primarily krill. Krill are small crustaceans that occur in
    enormous numbers and density in colder waters.

    You have already identified the major natural predators of blue whales.
    There was a national Geographic article showing several photos of killer
    whales attacking an immature blue whale. A search of the National
    Geographic website may give you the issue number.

    Have your daughter use the "How to Find " page on Whalenet for more blue
    whale facts.

    All the best,

    Tom Ford