Re: sperm whale

From: Erich Hoyt (erich.hoyt@mac.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 04:00:02 EST

    On 29 Nov 2004, at 19:06, Brenda Looney wrote:

    > my son is doing a report on the whale & needs to know why are these
    > whales still hunted to day he has to have 2 paragraphs & a drwaing can
    > you please help thank you

    Good question! Many people believe that the era of whaling should be
    over and that whales should be watched, enjoyed, studied, allowed to
    live freely in the ocean. Japan, Norway and most recently Iceland have
    kept whaling going. Mostly minke whales, the smallest baleen whale are
    caught, but also sperm and Bryde's whales are being hunted. These
    countries believe that their future depends on maintaining the right to
    hunt whales, though most other countries around the world disagree and
    say that whales can not belong to one country.

    I hope this helps. There is a lot of useful information on this website
    to answer this question (search under "whaling"), as well as
    illustrations, from which your son could make a drawing.

    Sincerely

    Erich Hoyt