Whale births

From: Erich Hoyt (erich.hoyt@mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 06:43:04 EST

    Dear Josiane

    The actual birth process of baby whales has rarely been witnessed in
    the wild. If you were around a whale giving birth, most of the action
    occurs underwater so it would be difficult to see even if you were
    right beside the animals (and most researchers and whale watch
    operators would stay some distance away in that kind of situation).

    We do know from dolphins in captivity that most are born tail first
    although I know of some headfirst (as well as tail first) births with
    orcas (the largest dolphin).

    Best wishes

    Erich Hoyt