Dolphins helping humans

From: Erich Hoyt (erich.hoyt@mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 06:15:50 EST

    Dear Brandin

    There are hundreds of stories about dolphins helping humans by
    supporting swimmers in trouble or even protecting them from sharks. I
    know many of these stories are true. However, there are certainly many
    thousands of cases where humans are hurt and lost at sea where dolphins
    are not around or, even if they are around, do not come to aid humans.
    I don't think you could depend on getting help from a dolphin if you
    have problems at sea. Maybe you need to have a lot of luck to encounter
    the "right" dolphin - one that is sociable with humans at least to some
    extent and who has time to help...

    thanks for your questions

    Erich Hoyt