Whale excrement

From: Erich Hoyt (erich.hoyt@mac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 16:37:10 EST

    On 9 Dec 2004, at 15:50, Josiane Cabana wrote:

    > Hi Mister Hoyt,
    >
    > First, thanks a lot for your answer to my question concerning the whale
    > birth, it helps a lot.
    > But I have another one ! We have a web site (www.whales-online.net)
    > with a
    > section where people can ask their questions, like your "ask a
    > scientist"
    > page, but sometimes, I can't find any answer to those, like the
    > following
    > one : Do you know the amout of poop a blue whale produces by day?
    >
    > I really appreciate if you have any kind of informations that can
    > answer
    > this question.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help,
    >
    > Josiane Cabana

    This question is partly answered on the whale net site by Fred Wenzel.
    See: http://whale.wheelock.edu/archives/ask98/0489.html

    But I couldn't find even a speculative answer for the total amount
    produced in a day. It appears to be very difficult in fact to measure
    blue whale excrement because it is mostly liquid and disperses quickly.

    Erich Hoyt