mass and energy

From: Greg Early (mailgearly@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 09:10:35 EST

    Vishal,

    Thanks for your question. Of course you realize this
    is WhaleNet and ASK is supposed to be taking questions
    about marine mammals - and - I have to be honest with
    you about this - we are not all exactly rocket
    scientists (let alone nuclear physicists) around here.
     But - what the heck I'll take a crack at it.

    Short answer - sure - why not?

    I've got to figure that given the amount of energy one
    gets through fission of a small amount of mass - the
    amount of energy needed to go the other way would be
    huge. I'm told - but you should check into this
    yourself - that this is sort of what happens when you
    use a whole huge amount of energy to drive particles a
    particle accelerator and smack them into each other.

    For details (and a much better explanation - by
    someone that knows what they are talking about) check
    either:

    Introduction to Radiological Physics and Radiation
    Dosimetry, by Frank
    Herbert Attix, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1986

    Introductory Nuclear Physics, by Kenneth Krane, John
    Wiley & Sons, New
    York, 1988

    or

    http://musr.physics.ubc.ca/~jess/hr/skept/EMC2/node9.html