Pollution Question

From: Greg Early (mailgearly@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 10:38:19 EST

    Hello Iwalk.

    Good topic for a science fair project.

    I expect you are looking for a little more input than
    that though, but let's face it - you are kind of vague
    about what kind of input you are looking for - and
    pollution is a big topic with a lot of big arguments
    about what it all means.

    So how about this as a start? Here is the definition
    of pollution from HyperDictionary (on line dictionary)

    [n] the act of contaminating or polluting; including
    (either intentionally or accidentally) unwanted
    substances or factors
    [n] the state of being polluted
    [n] undesirable state of the natural environment
    being contaminated with harmful substances as a
    consequence of human activities

    OK - pretty basic , but a place to start.

    1. "the act of contaminating or polluting; including
    (either intentionally or accidentally) unwanted
    substances or factors "

    Pretty much anything you do adds things to the
    environment. Not just people, and not just trash or
    not just industry For example anything that breaths
    exhales carbon dioxide, which is a green house gas.
    So does your cat add to global warming? Well, maybe
    a little bit, but sure not as much as a big truck, an
    SUV or a volcano - all of which give off a lot more.
    One of the issues about pollution is what to do about
    it (get a hamster instead of a cat? - get a compact
    car instead of an SUV? go plug up a volcano?) some of
    the things you can do - some you can't, some might
    help - some probably don't (by the way - the ocean
    plays a big part in getting rid of carbon dioxide and
    managing that greenhouse gas)

    2.) "the state of being polluted" - So just about
    every living thing picks up some of those "unwanted
    substances or factors". For example - to get back to
    whales for a minute - many marine mammals feed near
    the top of the food web - This means that they are
    feeding mostly on animals that have fed on other
    animals or plants (which in turn may have fed on other
    plants and animals etc, etc). Unless those "unwanted
    substances" can be eliminated from the prey animals
    each time they feed they get the total collected over
    the lifetime of the prey. This is a process called
    "bioaccumulation" and it is the reason higher order
    predators (like many marine mammals - and by the way -
    people) can be exposed to high doses of "unwanted
    substances or factors".

    3.) "undesirable state of the natural environment
    being contaminated with harmful substances as a
    consequence of human activities"

    Well I guess this means no one is going to be in favor
    of polluting the environment - so my input?- I'll
    agree. Who would'nt? The real question though is
    what can be done about it to reduce what goes into the
    environment, or manage what does or has already gotten
    there.

    That is a big problem on it's own and might be a part
    of a good science fair project. D'Ya think?

    good luck,

    ge