whales

From: Greg Early (mailgearly@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 10:08:00 EST

    Jack,

    I'm going to cheat big time on this one -

    The same question was answered on ASK by Erich Hoyt
    who knows a lot more about this sort of thing than I
    do. Here is what he said" That's a GOOD Question!

    A few years ago I asked one of the senior orca
    scientists this same question
    and together we added up rough estimates on a napkin.

    The best number we could come up with was that orcas
    probably number in the
    low tens of thousands. That means maybe somewhere
    between 10,000 and 40,000. But this is just a guess
    based on knowing the exact numbers in only four or
    five key areas of the world.

    You can find more about orcas on the WhaleNet website
    by searching for Orca or the full species name Orcinus
    orca.

    Good luck with your report, and thanks for your
    interest in orcas.

    Erich Hoyt "

    His answer (and more useful stuff) was in the ASK
    archives.

    For my part, I'd say that the numbers probably have
    not changed much from when he made the estimate.

    ge