manatee mortality

From: Nancy Sadusky (nsadusky@savethemanatee.org)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 10:31:46 EST

    Hi Austin,

    Over the years, researchers have attempted to identify and quantify West Indian manatee distribution, population size and causes of mortality in order to understand manatees and the threats to their survival. They have isolated several causes of manatee deaths, most of which are directly related to human contact or encroachment. If these sources of mortality are not controlled, manatees may become extinct.

    Scientists break down the causes of manatee deaths into six different categories: watercraft collisions, flood gate or canal lock, other human-related, perinatal, other natural, and undetermined/unrecovered. You can read more about causes of manatee mortality and get manatee mortality statistics by visiting our web site at: http://www.savethemanatee.org/mort.htm

    Watercraft-related manatee mortality is the leading cause of manatee death in Florida. Manatees can swim up to 32 kilometers (20 miles) per hour in short bursts, but they usually only swim about 3-8 kilometers (3-5 miles) per hour. Because manatees are slow-moving, need to surface to breathe air and prefer shallow water, they are vulnerable to collisions with boats. That's why at Save the Manatee Club, our staff continues to strive for strong protection measures for manatees. This means a combination of slow speed zones, enforcement of those zones, education, and habitat protection.

    You can get manatee protection tips for boaters and read more about our boater education efforts at: http://www.savethemanatee.org/boatertips.htm. You can read about our other activities to help manatees at http://www.savethemanatee.org/smchist.htm

    Thanks so much for your support for manatee protection.

    Sincerely,
    Nancy Sadusky
    Communications & Outreach Director

    Save the Manatee Club