Manatees & The Food Chain

From: Education (education@savethemanatee.org)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 10:39:17 EST

    Hi Christine,

    Manatees are primary feeders (plant-eaters). They feed directly off of plants. They are comparable to ungulates like deer or cattle who are browsing or grazing animals. Unlike their land counterparts, however, manatees have no natural predators.

    You may also want to go to the Manatee Info section of the Save the Manatee Club web site (www.savethemanatee.org) and go to the Manatee FAQ and Internal Anatomy of the Florida Manatee links for more information.

    We appreciate your interest in manatees!

    Sincerely,
    Nancy Sadusky
    Communications & Outreach Director

    Save the Manatee Club