yucky facts you know about sea animals (fwd)

From: Pita Admininstrator (pita@whale.wheelock.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 18:56:52 EST

    Cc: pita@whale.wheelock.edu
    Subject: Re: yucky facts you know about sea animals

    Hi Janice...

    Great question! let's see...

    I work with whales, and probably the most yukky thing about them is the
    way they smell when they're dead. because whales are SO big - a blue
    whale can be more than 100 feet long and weigh 200 tons - they are VERY
    difficult to get rid of when they wash up dead on a beach. And you
    wouldn't believe the smell. There's a LOT of it, and if you get some of
    the whale on your clothes (which we do when we cut them up) you never get
    rid of the smell. I have a coat that still smells like a dead blue whale
    seven years later, no matter how many times I wash it.

    Years ago a dead and very smelly whale washed up in Oregon and the people
    there decided to get rid of it by blowing it up with dynamite. It was a
    really dumb idea. When the whale blew to pieces they all fell out of the
    sky and almost hit the people watching, and one big piece crushed a car.
    You can see this on video at:

         http://perp.com/whale/

    It's pretty funny seeing all the people cheer when the whale blows up and
    then running away as it comes out of the sky.

    Anyway, I hope you find lots of more yukky facts about sea animals.

    Best wishes,

    Phil

    --
    Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.