tracking criminals with satellite tags

From: Catherine Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 10:42:36 EST

    Hi Mitch,

    Interesting question. I suppose you could use satellite tags to track criminals -- but under most circumstances its illegal to put something like that on a human (and the ones that I have seen are pretty big and so it would hurt too). When people are under house arrest they sometimes wear bracelets that track their location. And there are tiny chips you can put in dogs so that if they get lost or stolen you can find them again. I suppose that they could be used to track humans (although again, I expect it is illegal to put them in people).

    Cathy Schaeff
    Associate Professor and Chair
    Department of Biology
    American University