(2) Dolphin questions

From: Tom Ford (tjfketos@rcn.com)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 19:35:47 EST

    Dear Sara,
    Dolphins hide from their predators in two ways , speed and silence.

    Dolphins make social sounds and hunting calls frequently. If they detect a
    predator they become silent. That keeps the predator in the dark as to
    exactly where the dolphin pod is.
    That is when speed becomes a valuable asset. The pod can quickly and
    silently leave in a direction the predator has to guess. Dolphins are among
    the swiftest swimmers in the ocean and can easily out distance the enemy.
    A third defensive resource is the fact that dolphins are rarely alone. They
    keep together in pods and , as many individuals , can sometimes mount an
    aggressive counter attack on a predator.

    Dolphins find their mates among the pod which is an extended matrilinear
    family group. The pods are predominately females and immature animals.
    breeding males are generally from other pods or small pods exclusively of
    males.

    Happy surfing and write a swell report.

    Dr. Tom Ford