Pilot Whale Necropsies

From: Tom Ford (tjfketos@rcn.com)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 19:51:18 EST

    Dear Kaitlin ,

    Try searching here on Whalenet for :
                                            1) Globicephala melas
                                            2) Globicephala macrorhyncus

    A web search for these names will give you much better information than just
    a search for pilot whale.

    The parasites of whales are both worms and lice. The worms are internal
    parasites and the lice are external. The lice on whales are called Cyamids.
    The worms are divided into Trematodes, Cestodes and Nematodes.

    Whales are subject to many diseases caused by bacteria , viruses and
    funguses.. A few of those diseases are :
                        arthritis bones
                        canine distemper nerves
                        neoplasia cancer
                        infection any organ and skin is an organ.T
    the volume of blood varies with the size of the individual animal.
    Aproximately 5.5 % of a pilot whales weight is the weight of that whales
    blood. The heart has a resting beat of 48 per minute.

    You seem to have a keen interest in whales. Please keep it up.

    Sincerely

    Dr. Tom Ford