drinking?

From: Tom Ford (tjfketos@rcn.com)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 11:22:21 EST

    Dear Ms Jan Ford and class,

     Whales and dolphins almost never drink sea water. There is too much salt in
    sea water for their kidneys to process. They can generate all the fresh
    water they need internally by metabolizing fats. It is possible for a marine
    mammal to generate one ounce of fresh water internally for each ounce of fat
    metabolized. This is done by fixing carbon dioxide to the fats.

    So to be more plain about it whales can make fresh water from the food they
    eat.

    Sorry for my tendency to make things too complex,

    Dr. Tom Ford