questions about blue whales P.S.

From: Tom Ford (tjfketos@rcn.com)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 20:48:03 EST

    P.S. Blue whales use baleen because they do not chew their food. They strain
    water away from the krill and swallow them whole. Blue whales do not have
    teeth because they do not need them.

    From: "Erica A. Astbury" <eastbury@cherrycreekschools.org>
    Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:51:46 -0700
    To: tjfketos@rcn.com
    Cc: "Holly L. Tomey" <hbrink@cherrycreekschools.org>
    Subject: questions about blue whales

    Dear Dr. Ford,
           I read about whales that they can live up to 70 or 80 years old. I
    learned that baby blue whales are 24 feet long. How do the blue whales
    protect themselves and their babies?
    Sincerely,
    Erica Astbury
    P.S. Why do blue whales baleen instead of teeth?