questions about blue whales

From: Tom Ford (tjfketos@rcn.com)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 19:51:17 EST

    Blue whales protect themselves and their babies with size and speed. the
    adult mothers are huge (95 tons) and they can swim quite fast in short
    spurts. The baby whales can get a pull from swimming near the mother's
    dorsal fin area so they can keep up. Blue whales casually swim at 2.6 meters
    a second and they can do this for vast distances. The fastest Olympic
    swimmers sprint swim at 2.3 meters per second and for only 50 meters. Blue
    whales can swim for a long time and are only rarely attacked.

    An animal the size f a blue whale only has to be concerned by killer whales.
    I do not know if blue whales use the same defensive strategy as humpback
    whales but humpbacks will get between their babies and predators and take
    mighty tail slaps toward the attackers. The tail of a blue whale is a mighty
    weapon.

    Dr. Tom Ford