I have a question.......

From: Tom Ford (tjfketos@rcn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 22:11:20 EST

    > From: hudsona@fahan.tas.edu.au
    > Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:07:33 +1100 (EST)
    > To: tjfketos@rcn.com, pita@whale.wheelock.edu
    > Subject: I have a question.......
    >
    > Dear Mr Tom Ford
    >
    > Im doing a project on marine animals and i was wondering if you could
    > answer this question for me,
    > Is watching marine mammals a bad thing? why?
    >
    > from Amber
    >
    > FahanSchool
    > Australia
    > Tasmania
    > Hobart

    Dear Amber ,

    It would be easierfor me to answer if you defined "watching".
    If you meant harassing a whale by moving in too close with a boat or ttoo
    many boats then yes that is a bad thing.

    iIf you mean carefully observing an animal with the engines out of gear and
    idling in the same boat then no. It is not.
    careful and non-intrusive observation of whales has resulted in a wealth of
    behavioral and social structure knowledge.

    Commercial whale watching has provided the opportunities for many well done
    studies. There is also a strong educational aspect to whale watching. Many
    people who went on a whale watch out of idle curiosity have become strong
    advocates for whales. The greater the exposure the general public has had to
    these wonderful animals the more popular the more protection the whales
    get.

    I hope that will answer your question.

    Dr. Tom Ford