WHALE QUESTIONS (fwd)

From: what@whale.wheelock.edu
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 05:52:09 EDT

    Dear Scientist,
     We have been studying blue whales. We read Big Blue Whale and learned a
    lot of information that we did not know before. We learned that blue whales
    eat about three truckloads of krill a day! We were able to use the map
    often when we were studying whales and learned that whales swim near the
    equator where it is warm. We learned that a baby whale is about the size of
    a car.
     We have some questions for you that we were hoping you could answer. How
    big is a blue whale? Could you please compare a blue whale to another
    object for us so we can have an idea of how big it is? Do mother whales
    have more than one baby in their life? We know that the ocean is so big and
    most people may never spot a blue whale in their life, but where would a
    person be most likely to see a blue whale?
     We hope that you can get back to us soon! We can't wait to hear from you!

    Sincerely,

    Ms. Kopac's 2nd Graders

    Dear Second Grade students ,

    Blue whales are hard to imagine. did any of you come to school in a bus
    today ?
    A Blue whale on the sidewalk next to three busses parked end to end would be
    almost as long.
    A 100 foot whale would weigh more than 15 school busses.

    Has anyone there played tee ball ? A small, one year old blue whale with its
    tail on first base would reach all the way across the pitchers position to
    third base.

    People on whale watching boats in California and Quebec, Canada would have
    the best chances to spot a blue whale.

    Mother blue whales tend to have a baby every three years. They almost never
    have twins.

    Thank you for these questions/ If you have any more please send them. It was
    a nice treat for me to answer them.

    Keep thinking.

    Dr. Tom Ford