Subject: Re: Blue Whale Extincton

Dagmar_Fertl@smtp.mms.gov
Thu, 26 Sep 96 10:29:45 EST

     Peter,

     Your question is not ridiculous at all.  All the talk about
     endangered, threatened, and protected marine mammal species is
     sometimes difficult to understand.  Blue whales were indeed on the
     road to extinction before protection by the International Whaling
     Commission in 1965, and kind of like the "poster child" for the "Save
     the Whales" campaign.

     Happily, blue whales are not extinct.  In fact, some stocks (such as
     those that feed off California) have shown encouraging signs of
     recovery.  Blue whale numbers appear to at least be on the rise in the
     eastern North Atlantic and eastern North Pacific.

     Unfortunately, many people think that since blue whale numbers appear
     to be increasing, that all of the whales and dolphins are in good
     shape.  Currently, the northern right whale has the dubious honor of
     being the most endangered of the baleen whales (with approximately 350
     left in the world).  Also, there are at least two species of dolphins
     and porpoises that are quickly on the road to extinction:  the Baiji
     (a river dolphin that lives in China) and the vaquita (the Gulf of
     California harbor porpoise).  Scientists are working to get equal
     protection for the small cetaceans that the larger ones have.

     Thanks for asking this question; I'm sure other people out there had
     the same one!