Subject: Re: whales & dolphins

Dagmar_Fertl@smtp.mms.gov
Wed, 02 Oct 96 06:43:19 EST

     Hi class!  I'm trying right now to find out from the people studying
     right whales, for information on Metompkins.  Obviously, you asked a
     really good question!!

     I write environmental impact statements for marine mammals, sea
     turtles, and birds in the Gulf of Mexico relative to oil and gas
     exploration.  I spend a lot of time learning about the different types
     of things that can affect the animals, such as oil spills, noise, etc.
     My job is to make sure that I let people know how the animals might be
     affected by various things from the oil and gas industry, as well as
     other things going on, including fishery interactions and die-offs.  I
     also am involved with studies of whales and dolphins in the Gulf of
     Mexico.  Next week, I will be part of a research team from Texas A&M
     University doing ship-based surveys out in the Gulf for 2 1/2 weeks.
     This is a project that the agency I work for is funding.  I am very
     excited about getting away from my desk and all the paperwork (just
     don't tell my boss that I'm going to be having a good time while I'm
     out there)!

     I'm not sure why you think people get confused about killer whales and
     white-sided dolphins.  If you can tell me exactly what people tell
     you, then I will try to answer your question.  It doesn't seem like
     people could get confused about them since they look so different.

     Where is Miscoe Hill Middle School?