Subject: Multicultural SCIENTIST (fwd)

Michael Williamson (williams@whale.simmons.edu)
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 14:54:38 -0400 (EDT)

Date: 14 Oct 96 12:53 EST
From: CLAPHAM.PHIL@SIMNH.SI.EDU
To: "G.ask [Private Mail Group]"@SIMNH.SI.EDU
Subject: Copy of: RE: REPLY TO: RE: COPY OF: SCIENTIST

Original message: "RE: REPLY TO: RE: COPY OF: SCIENTIST"
From: <<@VM.MARIST.EDU:KRLR@MUSICB.MARIST.EDU>>

Hi
I'm sorry, I thought for sure I did answer your last email.
No white American males.  If there was a white woman scientist who
studied whales, oceans, or marine life that would be fine though,
because a woman could be considered a minority.  Yes, hispanics are
fine too.  The purpose of the multicultural aspect
is to teach students about a scientist who is not "traditionally"
taught.
THanks again.  I can also use a person with a disability, an
African-American person, etc.
IF you have any more questions please write back.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Melani Bendfeldt

Response #1:  CLAPHAM,PHIL
You asked for minority scientists in the marine mammal field to profile,
including women.  Here are three women, and you can take your
pick:

Dr Barbara Taylor.  National Marine Fisheries Service, Southwest Fisheries
Science Center, La Jolla CA.  email: taylor@jeeves.ucsd.edu
Barb's heavily involved in population biology and conservation biology
of marine mammals and other things.  For my money, she is the best
scientist in our entire field, male or female.  She is not only a model
for would-be female scientists, but a model for how science should be
conducted overall.

Dr Aleta Hohn, National Marine Fisheries Service, Beaufort, NC.  Email:
ahohn@hatteras.bea.nmfs.gov
Aleta works with life history of cetaceans, particularly dolphins, and
is very good at it.  She has also been involved with biodiversity issues
in the last few years.  She was one of four scientists that took
part in an educational CD-ROM exercise based on Dr Roger Payne's
Discovery Channel program In Company With Whales.

Katy Payne, Cornell University.  Katy (former wife of Roger), in addition
to being a great scientist, is one of those marvellous human beings who
make you feel like what you're doing is the greatest stuff in the world.
For many years she worked with Roger on humpback whale song and other
whale acoustics.  Currently she is involved with elephant vocalizations
in collaboration with a long-term study of wild African elephants.  It
was Katy who discovered the infrasonic (below the range of our hearing)
vocalizations that female elephants make which travel several km in air
and attract males.  Oh, email: kp17@cornell.edu

You're welcome to mention to any of these that I recommended them.  I
don't know how much information you will get - it all depends on how
busy they are, and in some cases whether they're out in the field or
not.

Hope this helps!

Phil Clapham