Subject: Re: Extinct Whales

Tue, 5 Nov 1996 01:43:49 -1000 (HST)

Hi Deena -

Actually, studies of fossils have given sceintists a pretty clear idea of
what species of whales have gone extinct, and what the world was like when
they lived here.  One major group of whales that has gone extinct is
called "Archaeoceti".  These were the first animals that looked like
whales.  They lived about 50 millions years ago in a world of tropical
vegetation and swamps known as the Tethys sea.  They sort of looked like
dolphins look today, with elongated bodies, reduced hindlimbs, and long
snouts.  Some fossils of Archaeocetes have been found in Pakistan, India,
and North Africa, but other Archaeocetes have been found all over the
world.  Basically, we think that early whales moved into the ocean near
the equator of the world (into the Tethys sea), and began moving more
toward the poles over the millions of years.

Thanks for your question!  Hope this answer helps in your project (and I
also hope the answer came back in time for your deadline!!)

Please write again if you need any more information!

Aloha-

Jen Philips

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, David Ong wrote:

> Hi Jen!
>
> I'd like to know if there are any extinct whales that you know of.  I
> actually only need to know of one: its name and roughly where it lived.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Deena
>
> PS This is for a multimedia project that I'm working on.  My deadline is
> in 2 days from now.  Let's hope for the best!

Jennifer D. Philips				jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu

Marine Mammal Research Program - HIMB		(808) 236-4001
University of Hawaii, Manoa
Honolulu, HI  96822	      "First, there were some amoebas. Deviant
			       amoebas adapted better to the environment,
			       thus becoming monkeys..."