Subject: Extinct Whales and Humans

Wed, 6 Nov 1996 15:54:59 -1000 (HST)

Deena -  Sorry about the misunderstanding!  Here's the answer to your new
question:

As far as I know, there are no species of whales that have *yet* gone
extinct due to human actions.  There many species that have been severely
reduced in numbers, like the blue whale, the right whale, the bowhead
whale, and of dolphins, the tuxuci, the baiji, the vacita.  But there have
been no species to actually go extinct in recent human history.  The
species I mentioned above are very endangered, and some fear they may go
extinct within the next 50 years (especially the vacita and the baiji).
The Vacita lives in the Gulf of California, Mexico and the Baiji is a
river dolphin in China.

Aloha!

Jen Philips

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Deena wrote:

> Hi Jen,
>
> Thanks so much for your speedy reply.  I didn't really phrase my question
> correctly the first time, though.  I'll try again:  do you know of any
> whales that are now extinct due to man's actions?  I only need the name of
> one and roughly where it lived.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Deena
>
> PS Aloha from Singapore!

Jennifer D. Philips				jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu

Marine Mammal Research Program - HIMB		(808) 236-4001
University of Hawaii, Manoa
Honolulu, HI  96822	      "First, there were some amoebas. Deviant
			       amoebas adapted better to the environment,
			       thus becoming monkeys..."