Subject: Humpback whale behavior guides

Jen Philips (jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu)
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 12:03:51 -1000 (HST)

Hi Mike -  There are many scientific articles in journals dealing with
individual aspects of humpback whale behavior, but these aren't great as
field guides.  A great text on "The Natural History of Whales and
Dolphins", Peter G.H. Evans, 1987, Facts on File, NewYork, has very
complete and accurate information on humpback behavior, but its
intermingled among that of other species as well.  I personally do not
own any books written entirely on humpbacks, but I AM SURE there are many
of them to be found at the local bookstore (especially if you live in
Hawaii!).  If you are interested in those scientific ariticles, you would
have to have access to the university library - I would suggest authors
such as Baker, Herman, Tyack, Payne, Whitehead (in the years from 1970 -
present).  But, depending on what you're purpose is, I would rather
suggest either a general text such as the Evans text, above, or a
popularly written field guide specifically on humpbacks.  I'm sure
there're plenty to choose from, but I'm sorry that I don't know of any in
particular :)  Try just going over to Barnes and Nobles and scanning
through their whale section....

Good luck!

Aloha -

Jen Philips

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Michael Schmicker wrote:

> Jen:
>
> I'm looking for articles and reports specifically dealing with humpback
> whale behavior -- how they eat, feed, move, and act in the water. Do you
> know of any good guides to observing whale behavior?
>
> Thank!
>
> Mike Schmicker

Jennifer D. Philips				jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu

Marine Mammal Research Program - HIMB		(808) 236-4001
University of Hawaii, Manoa
Honolulu, HI  96822	      "First, there were some amoebas. Deviant
			       amoebas adapted better to the environment,
			       thus becoming monkeys..."       - S.Adams