Subject: Re: Information on Beluga Whales

Courtney E. Stirling (stirling@gsosun1.gso.uri.edu)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:27:36 -0500 (EST)

	Tami,
		The Beluga population of Quebec/St. Lawrence River has
been dramatically impacted by the pollution in the river, that also flows
out into the ocean as the St. Lawrence enters the North Atlantic.  This
specific type of pollution, organochlorines, impacts the reproductive
process in these whales (as well as most other animals on earth), as well
as increasing the rate of disease, lesions, and immune-related disorders.
It takes an enormous amount of energy and exact timing
of hormone signals for the reproductive process to proceed normally.  Many
people suggest that this process has been disrupted in the St. Lawrence
River beluga stock.
	I have included a list of two refences that will give you an
excellent summary of the challenges facing pollution-threatened species,
such as the beluga.  I have many more, so please feel free to contact me
if you are interested.
	1.  Addison, R.F., 1989.  Organochlorines and marine mammal
reproduction.  Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, vol. 46,
pg:360-368.
	2.  Beland et al, 1988.  Potential for growth of th St. Lawrence
river beluga...Journal du Conseil, vol 45, page 22-32.

Good luck,

Courtney