Subject: Re: whale migration

Courtney E. Stirling (stirling@gsosun1.gso.uri.edu)
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:36:51 -0500 (EST)

Rachel, I am not aware of any species from the the Atlantic that cross the
equator during a migration.  To double check myself I checked in a book
called The Natural History of Whales & Dolphins, by Robert G.H. Evans
(published in 1987, by Facts on File Publications in New York).  This
refence suggested that most whale species from the eastern North Atlantic
spend their summers in the Iceland - Norway area and then winter around
the Azores -Scotland-UK region.  Whales from the western North Atlantic
winter in regions ranging from Florida to the southern Caribbean.  These
North Atlantic whales summer in regions from Cape Cod to the St. Lawrence
river estuary.

The book I cited above would be a great reference for you if you are
interested in the life history of the world's whales.

Good luck, Courtney