Subject: Re: sperm whales stomachs

Courtney E. Stirling (stirling@gsosun1.gso.uri.edu)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:13:36 -0500 (EST)

I think what the book means is that a sperm whale stomach is able to
digest tissue from a living thing (that used to be alive).  The reason a
sperm whale stomach can digest tissue but won't digest itself is because
the whale's intestines are lined with mucous.  This mucous protects the
whale's insides from itself - that is, the digestive juices that it
produces to digest food.  Interestingly enough, this is the same manner in
which our stomach operates.

Good Luck,
	Courtney