Subject: Whales in Hawaii (fwd)

Tue, 31 Dec 1996 12:05:06 -0500 (EST)

Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 11:25:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Robert Kenney <rkenney@gsosun1.gso.uri.edu>
To: shialary@stlnet.com
Cc: pita@whale.simmons.edu, krill@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: Re: Whales in Hawaii

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Dr. Robert Thomas wrote:

> When do the whales normally stay in the waters off Hawaii, Maui, etc.

I assume that you are referring to humpback whales.  The area around the
Hawaiian Islands is one of the known calving grounds for North Pacific
humpbacks.  Baleen whales like humpbacks calve (and mate as far as we
know) during the winter, and migrate to their feeding grounds during the
summer.  So the peak season for Hawaiian humpbacks should be northern
hemisphere winter - I would guess December through March with lower
numbers on the tails of the season.

Cheers,
Dr. Bob Kenney