Subject: Re: Whale Pods

Dr. Cathy Schaeff (
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 11:41:27 +0000


Relatively large groups of whales are usually called pods -- but only
social whales like the orca or minke form pods.  Otherwise, groups of
whales are called -- groups (imaginative, huh?).  Among nonsocial
species such as the right whale, animals gather in groups mainly to mate
-- these groups are called SAGs -- surface active groups.

Hope that htis helps,

Dr. Schaeff