Subject: Dolphin Therapy

Fri, 17 Jan 1997 15:22:25 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:12:02 -0500
From: Patrick Miller <omalley@cetacea.whoi.edu>
To: ask@whale.simmons.edu, pita@whale.simmons.edu, sigarashi@geographix.com
Subject: ASK question to Whalenet

>Do you know anybody who teaches the dolphin assisted therapy? Do you
>have any recommendations?

						-Sammi

Dear Sammi -

   I have read about the claims of dolphin-assisted therapy, but no my knowledge
there has been no systematic scientific evaluation of the claims of dolphin
therapy.  What is required is a test of whether having a dolphin as part of the
therapy actually leads to tangible health benefits to the patient.  In many
cases, I am worried that unsubstantiated claims may simply be a way for some
people to make money on the hopes of sick patients and the captivity of a
dolphin.

   I'm sorry that I don't know anyone who teaches it, but I wish your cousin
luck in the therapy field and hope that she can make sick people better.

					yours in whale research,

						-Patrick