Subject: Re: blue whales

Daniel K. Odell (odell@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:47:33 -0500 (EST)

Dear Class:

As with most of the large whales, we don't know how many blue whales there
are in the world.  Since we don't even know if carbon-based life forms
exist in other parts of the universe we can't guess about whales out
there.

Estimates of the current number of blue whales on the earth vary.  One
such estimate is 14,000 animals.

Most of the baleen whales, like the blue whale, occur in small groups of a
few animals.  I don't know what the largest herd of blue whales ever seen
was.

Dan Odell
Sea World