Subject: Re: whales in captivity

Daniel K. Odell (odell@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu)
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 21:11:24 -0500 (EST)

Dear Mara:

I can only address part of your question.  I have no problem with whales
and dolphins being kept in captivity as long as it is done properly with
respect to their overall well-being.  Under these conditions, captive
whales and dolphins can be used for education, conservation and research
programs as well as for entertainment.  We can learn things about the
biology whales from captive whales that are virtually impossible to learn
in the wild.  For example, at Sea World we have been able to observe the
birth, growth and development of killer whale calves.  We even have three
generations of killer whales in our parks.  We can learn things about the
biology of whales and dolphins that may help us to save some endangered
species of dolphins.

As you do your research it is important to find out which statements are
fact and which are just speculation or opinion.  Your final conclusions
should be based only on the facts.

Good luck and be sure to write back if you need more help.

Dan Odell
Sea World