Subject: research

Pieter Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 00:52:15 -0700

>My name is Jens Altern Wathne. I'm a Cand.sient student in and from
>Norway. My thesis envolve Ringed seals (Phoca hispida hispida). I'm
>doing a feeding habit study of the seals in drift ice areas in the
>Barents sea.  I'm in the writing stages of the thesis and I hopefully be
>finished in August this year.I'll be writing the thesis as two papers
>and in English. I want to continue to educate myself and do a Ph.D. Do
>you know any programs, grant, plans on a Ph.D either on whales or seals.
>I'm interested in physiology, feeding habits, behaviour studies and lots
>more. Do you know of any projects going on or coming up in the next year
>or two ? Is there somebody that I can contact for further info ? Is
>there a contact person that I can talk to ? I need some help.

Texas A&M University (Galveston, Texas) has an excellent program in marine
mammalogy. Bernd Weursig heads it up. The University of California, Santa
Cruz has a good program and a reputation with pinnipeds. Researchers at
UCSC have published on elephant seal physiology in particular.

If you are looking for something closer to ice seal opportunities, my best
recommendation is for you to contact Kit Kovacs in Guelph, Ontario, Canada,
or Dave Lavigne at IMMA (International Marine Mammal Association). They
have a website at IMMA.org (I think). Kit is well known for work with
northern phocids (harps and hoods in particular, but also grey seals). She
has excellent contacts in Norway as well.

If you are a member of the Society for Marine Mammalogy you can find the
addresses for these people in the membership directory. If you need an
address or two, email me and I'll forward what I can.

Cheers,

Pieter Folkens

   \\|
    \|