Subject: Education (fwd)

Sun, 16 Mar 1997 11:58:43 -0500 (EST)

J. Michael Williamson
   Principal Investigator-WhaleNet <http://whale.wheelock.edu>
   Associate Professor-Science
   Wheelock College, 200 The Riverway, Boston, MA 02215
voice: 617.734.5200, ext. 256
fax:    617.734.8666, or 617.566.7369

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 22:34:04 -0700
From: Pieter Folkens <animalbytes@earthlink.net>
To: "nicholas e. hendrix" <d-n-a@bluebonnet.net>
Cc: pita@whale.simmons.edu, krill@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: Education

>           I am a sophomore in high school and I am very interested in
>becoming a marine biologist. Ever since fourth grade I have dreamt about
>becoming one. I live in Texas and would like information on as many
>Marine Biology Colleges(in America) as possible. I would also like to
>know about any "sea camps " around Texas and Louisiana.I would enjoy
>working at some place like Sea World or an aquarium over the summer,but
>need information.

Dear Leah Smith,

Sophomore in high school is a very good time to start thinking about what
you want as a career. Marine Biology is a broady field, but at your stage
it's good to be as broad as possible.

I must confess that I do not know about all of the marine biology programs
across the country, but I do know a few good ones. You really needn't look
beyond Texas for one of the finest. Texas A&M has an excellent program.
Bernd Wuersig heads up the marine mammal program there. You should write
directly to them in Galveston (College Station) for information. I also
like Oregon State University's program at the Hatfield Marine Science
Center (Newport, OR) under Bruce Mate. Other good marine biology programs
include University of California, Santa Cruz (Long Marine Lab); Stanford
University (Moss Landing Marine Station). The University of Washington
(Seattle) has a good program and an even better one in Oceanography.
Woodshole, Mass., has a world-wide reputation as well.

I do not know about Texas or Louisiana sea camps. I know of two in California.
Sorry, I can't help there.

Marine World/Africa USA in California just announced that they are hiring
for the summer now. I suggest you contact the Sea World in Texas soon to
find out their hiring schedule. You may also want to try volunteering for a
while to get a feel for what kind of position you like the best.

Good luck!

Pieter Folkens

   \\|
    \|