Subject: Ears and communication

Peter Scheifele (scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:28:04 -0500

Dear Mrs. Bolender's Class,
        Indeed whales do have ears.  They are located about 3 inches behind
their eyes on either side of their head.  They DON"T have outer ears like we
do though.  Depending on the type of whale (toothed or baleen), the toothed
whales actually hear through their lower jaw!!

Whales communicate in many ways:  TOUCH is one way but sounds like moans,
songs, squeeks and whistles are the most used!
Thanks for writing!

At 12:04 PM 3/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Mr. Scheifele,  We are a First Grade class in Pawling New York.  We
>would like to ask you a few questions.  We would like to know if whales have
>ears and if so where they are located.  We would also like to know how whales
>communicate.  Thank you for reading our letter.  Mrs. Bolender's Class

Peter M. Scheifele
National Undersea Research Center
University of Connecticut
Bioacoustic Research