Subject: Whale swimming

Peter Scheifele (scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:44:42 -0500

Dear Bryan,

        Whales swim using their tail flukes for propulsion.  The up-and-down
motion of the broad flukes goes as an up-stroke and down (power) stroke.
They steer an brake using their pectroal flippers.  Beacuase they are
streamlined (fusiform) they can get a lot of mileage for a little energy
however, most whales don't move very fast for very long.  The smaller whales
(dolphins and porpoises) can reach speeds of 29 miles per hour or so but
can't run that way for a very long time.

Ask me some more if this doesn't answer your question.
Peter

At 01:26 PM 3/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
>My name is bryan henry
>I am doing a project for science class and I need as much info. on how
>whales swim very quickly. Thanks
>
>bshenry@auracom.com 					Bryan Hnery

Peter M. Scheifele
National Undersea Research Center