Subject: Re: Evolution

Al Romero (aromero@ACC.FAU.EDU)
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:29:44 -0500 (EST)

At 09:21 PM 4/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I would like to find a few sites on the web with information on the
>evolution of whales.  If you do not have that information, a list of books
>on the subject would be helpful.
>
>						Thank you,
>						Dwayne Scott
>						dwayne@primeline.com

Dear Mr. Scott:

There is not any web site where the evolution of whales is exclusively
discussed; however, vrtpaleo@usc.edu includes from time to tine some
discussions on the issue. The same can be said of marmam@uvvm.bitnet.

Also, I am not aware of any book that deals exclusively with the evolution
of whales but most general books on cetacenas do. Perhaps the most recent
example is Heyning, J.E. 1995. Whales, Dolphins, Porpoises. Masters of the
Ocean Realm. Seattle & London: University of Washington Press.ISBN
0-295-97487-7.

There are dozens and dozens of scientific articles on the subject. Some of
the most recent are:

Adachi, J & M. Hasegawa. 1995. Phylogeny of Whales. Mol. Biol. Evol. 12:177-179.

Fordyce, R.E. & L.G. Barnes. 1994. The Evolutionary History of Whales and
Dolphins. Annu. Rev. Earth Planet. Sci. 22:419-455.

Gingerich, P.D. 1994. The Whales of Thetys. Natural History, April, pp. 86-88

Milinkovitch, et. al. 1995. Novel Phylogeny of Whales Revisited but not Revised.
Mol. Biol. Evol. 12:518-520.

Thewissen et al. 1994. Fossil Evidence for the Origin of Aquatic Locomotion
in Archaecete Whales. Science 263:210-212.

Best wishes
Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University	(954)236-1125
College of Liberal Arts		(954)236-1150 (F)
Department of Biology		aromero@acc.fau.edu
2912 College Ave.,
Davie, FL 33314