Subject: Re: more questions

Al Romero (aromero@ACC.FAU.EDU)
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:46:31 -0500 (EST)

At 02:55 PM 4/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks so much for replying back.  I thought that you would never get the
>letter.  Since that you are a scientist (I think) could you answer some
>more questions.  Do you know anything about the california Condors that
>were saved?  Well one of the other questions is How was the Condor saved.
>I think I know some of the answer to that but I would like your opinion.

Condors are not within my area of expertise. I know, though, that much work
has been done in the last few years in this area. I recommend you to try to
find other web pages which deal with this issue.

>Are whales still decreasing rapidly or are they not being hunted that much?

Large scale, indiscriminate whaling is not longer practiced. Now, other
threats such as water pollution and infectious diseases seem to be some of
the major human threats toward whales.

>Are the IWC or Greenpeace doing much on this topic (whales) at all?

The IWC has a scientific committee whose one of its major responsabilities
is to monitor these activities. However, the IWC is made up mostly of former
and/or current whaling nations, so politics influences many of the decisions
made.  Greenpace and a very large number of other environmental and animal
rights organizations oppose the resuming of whaling and heavily lobby the
IWC to ensure that whaling is not resumed.

>Do you think the tecnology on the weapons that they use to catch whales is
>advanced?

It is certainly very effective, particularly the explosive harpoon heads.
However, a different question is wheteher it is humane or not, i.e., does it
kill the whale with a minimum of suffering by the animal? Of course, the
other argument is that killing whales is not humane at all, no matter how it
is practiced.

>Is Japan still the best fishery industry today?

There are very advance is fishery science and technology and they are one of
the nations that continue capturing whales, allegedly for scientific
purposes, although most independent observers see such practice as a simple
commercial activity.

>How many countries still are hunting these whales?

Besides Japan, Iceland and Norway have been involved in these practices in
the last few years.  There has also been some initiatives to allow the
hunting of whales by aboriginal peoples that live near the Artic Circle,
although many have pointed out that those ethnic groups have not practiced
such hunting in decades and see little reason in allowing it again since
whale hunting is no longer neither a tradition nor a necessity for those
peoples.

>I might think of some more but these are it for now.  Thanks again for
>replying.  Try your best and good luck!
>Thanks,
>Mary

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University	(954)236-1125
College of Liberal Arts		(954)236-1150 (F)
Department of Biology		aromero@acc.fau.edu
2912 College Ave.,
Davie, FL 33314