Subject: Re: White Whales

Al Romero (aromero@ACC.FAU.EDU)
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 17:15:21 -0500 (EST)

At 02:26 PM 4/11/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Dear Aldemaro Romero
>
>Thank you for the information you sent me to help me with my research
>project.  It was very useful.  I have also obtained a wide range of
>information from other sources on the computer and in books.  However, there
>are five questions that I would like to ask you, if you can help me out again
>please.
>
>1   Are White Whales endangered at all?

They are classified by the International Union for the Conservation of
Nature (IUCN) as "Insufficiently Known," i.e., that we lack enough
information about their population sizes, populations biology, and threats
as to make a clear-cut determination.

>2   How often does the adult need to eat and how much does he need to eat?

Not much is known about the feeding behavior of these cetaceans. We do know,
though, that they prey on a wide variety of species including mollusks,
fish, annelids (worms), decapod crustaceans and microscopic animal organisms
(zooplankton)

>3   How much does a baby white whale weigh at birth?

Mean weight is 79 kilograms.

>4   Does this whale have a blow hole?

Yes.

>5   Is this the only whale without a dorsal fin?

Not really. A number of whales and dolphins have a very reduced dorsal fin.

>This is a really exciting project for me and your help is very much
>appreciated.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Matthew Girling

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University	(954)236-1125
College of Liberal Arts		(954)236-1150 (F)
Department of Biology		aromero@acc.fau.edu
2912 College Ave.,
Davie, FL 33314