Subject: Re: Whale organs

Al Romero (aromero@ACC.FAU.EDU)
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 17:25:27 -0500 (EST)

At 03:58 PM 4/12/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi, we are a few people wich often have discussed how the sexual act of
>a whale is done. Our discussion is about a whale beeing a mammal wich
>means that a whale must have "intercourse" to bring new small whales to
>the world. Our quistion is then does a whale have a penis, how big is it
>and is there ever recorded a whale "intercourse"? Our quistion offcourse
>refere mostly to blue/spearm whales.
>
>		Greetings and thanks
>
>		Peter Boje Jensen
>
>	e-mail:   Boje@bergsoe.dtu.dk

Dear Friend:

Whales, like all other mammals, reproduce by internal fertilization and all
males have a penis. Mating may be preceded by the male gliding beneath the
female and then upturning for belly to belly contact. Sometimes the
positions may be reversed, while belly contact in a vertical position has
also been observed. The size of the penis in large whales vary between 1 and
3 meters.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University	(954)236-1125
College of Liberal Arts		(954)236-1150 (F)
Department of Biology		aromero@acc.fau.edu
2912 College Ave.,
Davie, FL 33314