Subject: Whales Heart

Al Romero (aromero@ACC.FAU.EDU)
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 18:00:54 -0500 (EST)

At 05:53 PM 4/13/97 -0500, you wrote:

>What car most resembles the size of the blue whales heart????
>
>	Jordan-(Signman)

After spending quite a while looking for the specifics of the blue whale's
heart statistics I could not find any reference to the heart size. Not even
Geroge Small's classic book "The Blue Whale" has any figures in that regard.
Heart weight, however, is half a ton. I wild guess is that the heart of a
fully grown (ca. 30 meters) blue whale is not much larger than a VW beetle.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University	(954)236-1125
College of Liberal Arts		(954)236-1150 (F)
Department of Biology		aromero@acc.fau.edu
2912 College Ave.,
Davie, FL 33314