Subject: Weight of Largest Whale

Al Romero (aromero@ACC.FAU.EDU)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:35:46 -0500 (EST)

>I saw on television that thge largest whales can weight 200 tons. I can't
>believe I heard this right, it must have been an error, or I must have
heard it >wrong. They also stated that a whale can weight 10 times the
weight of an >elephant, is this true. It was also stated they can eat up to
two tons of food >each day.

Thanks

ImageTwo

Dear Friend:

The heaviest whale ever known weighted 190 tons although blue whales, the
largest of all, are unlikely to reach such a weight these days because their
populations are still depleted from past exploitation. They can consume
between 2 and 4 tons of food in a single day.

Best wishes,

Aldemaro Romero, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University	(954)236-1125
College of Liberal Arts		(954)236-1150 (F)
Department of Biology		aromero@acc.fau.edu
2912 College Ave.,
Davie, FL 33314