Subject: Re: digestive and respiratory system of whales (fwd)

w. jones (mermaid@grove.ufl.edu)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 15:25:52 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 97 14:46:49 EDT
From: * PF05 UNDEFINED <MANATEE@NERVM.NERDC.UFL.EDU>
To: "\"joseph muise\" <muisejkm@atcon.com>" <cc:ask@www1.wheelock.edu>
Subject: Re: question about whales (fwd)

Re:  the digestive and respiratory system of whales

Hi Joseph,

Like humans, the digestive and respiratory system of whales is separate.  Whale
s have lungs and an air passageway (trachea) that are placed differently in the
 whale's body as compared to how they are placed in the human body.  For
example, humans can eat and breathe through their mouth.  The food goes to the
stomach and the air goes to the lungs.  Whales cannot breathe through their
mouth; they only eat with their mouth.  Whales breathe only through their
nostrils which are located at the top of their body.  The whale's digestive
system and respiratory system are totally separate.  I hope I have answered
your question.  If you have anymore, send it to me at the above address.
Have a good day.