Subject: Orca info

Fri, 25 Apr 1997 10:19:51 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:32:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: "w. jones" <mermaid@grove.ufl.edu>
To: Kayla Trusty <kayla@k12.woco.ohio.gov>
Cc: pita@whale.simmons.edu, krill@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: Re: Whale Question

Hi Kayla,

Yes, killer whales have been reported to eat  species of porpoises
and whales.  Killer whales eat fish, seals, and sometimes other
cetaceans.  In some areas, killer whales, also known as orcas, appear to
primarily eat fish.  In other areas, they appear to eat a mixed diet of
fish and seals.  In regards to other cetaceans (whales and porpoises),
they have been observed to eat harbor porpoises in Puget Sound.  Larger
whales (blue whales) have been seen with wounds that appeared to have been
inflicted by
killer whales.  Because killer whales live and hunt in family groups known
as pods, they have sometimes been called "Wolves of the Sea."

If you'd like more information, I can e-mail the titles of books that will
tell you more about orcas and their behavior.  Just send me a line.  I
hope this answered your question.  Have a good day.

Wanda Jones