Subject: Blue Whale Population status

Fri, 25 Apr 1997 10:20:29 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:32:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "w. jones" <mermaid@grove.ufl.edu>
To: Tim Ackerman <reef1@pipeline.com>
Cc: pita@whale.simmons.edu, krill@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: Re: Blue Whales

Hi Tim,

The blue whale populations appear to be increasing.  Scientific studies
investigating the numbers of blue whales have either already been intiated
or will be initiated in the near future.  There have been more frequent
sightings of blue whales in the past two years than in previous years.
Things appear to be looking up for these beautiful animals.

I would speculate that because manatees range of hearing includes part of
the same range of sound that humans can hear, it is likely that they could
hear your flute.  Being curious animals, the sound of the flute would have
caused them to stop and investigate.  Flute music is not something they
hear very often, especially in their underwater world.  A researcher here
in Florida has been conducting research on the range of manatee's hearing.
I will have to check my files and get back to you on the high and low
boundaries of manatee's ability to hear sounds.  I'll write you within the
week with that information.  I hope I anwered your question.  If you have
any more questions, drop me a line.  Have a good day.

Wanda Jones