Subject: whales and earthquaks

Thu, 1 May 1997 14:05:01 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:04:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "w. jones" <mermaid@grove.ufl.edu>
To: Jensen <primary@bmtc.net>
Cc: pita@whale.simmons.edu, krill@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: Re: whales

Hello,

I am not sure what happens to whales at Sea World in California during an
earthquake because I live in Florida.  I would guess that the people who
designed the tanks at Sea World in California made them so that the whales
would be safe if an earthquake occurred.  Here in Florida, the whales
would be safe because their tanks are low enough to the ground that the
wind would not tear them apart.  It is rare that a hurricane reaches
Central Florida where Sea World is located.  Usually by the time a
hurricane reaches that area, the winds are much slower than they were over
the ocean.  We just get lots of rain and some winds that are stronger than
the average thunderstorm.  During this time, the whales continue to swim
around their tanks and are not too disturbed.  If there were any danger to
the whales, I am sure that their handlers would take all the steps
necessary to keep the whales safe.

I hope I answered your question.  If you have any more, drop me a line.
Have a good weekend.

W. Jones