Subject: evolution/whales

Thu, 1 May 1997 14:40:14 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:20:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: "w. jones" <mermaid@grove.ufl.edu>
To: Jordanno@aol.com
Cc: pita@whale.simmons.edu, krill@whale.simmons.edu
Subject: Re: information sources

Hello,

I would recommend that you read some of the books that have been written
on the evolution of mammals.  There are also some excellent books that
discuss the different Ages in earth's history that give some good
information about they phylogeny of marine mammals.  You may want to start
looking in the Paleocene era becuase that is when the Mesonychids were on
earth and they may be the earliest ancestors of cetaceans.  Two books you
might want to look at are

The Natural History of Whales and Dolphins by Peter Evans.  1987

The Natural History of the Whale by L. Harrison Matthews, 1978.

I hope these books are helpful and good luck with your research.  If you
have any more questions, drop me a line.

Have a good weekend.

W, Jones