Subject: Re: Stellar Manatee

w. jones (mermaid@grove.ufl.edu)
Fri, 2 May 1997 11:49:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi dennis,

The stellar sea cow was the largest known sirenian reaching a length of 26
feet.  It lived in cold, subarctic waters.  I t did not have teet, finger
bones, or seemingly the ability to dive.  They were so easy to kill that
they were driven to extinction in 1768 due to overhunting.  There is a
book called Manatees and Dugongs written by J. Reynolds and D. Odell that
has pictures and further information about the stellar sea cow.

I hope I've answered your question.  Drop a line if you have others.  Have
a good weekend.

W. Jones